Friday, July 21, 2006

The Places We've Been...

Sorry its been awhile. We've been building up our social calendar and exploring our surroundings, which has left me too busy or too tired to blog.

Over the 4th and the last couple weekends, we've been exploring Oregon. We've driven the Mount Hood Scenic Byway and visited Mount Hood. Then we went the other direction and drove the Pacific Coast Scenic Byway from Cannon Beach to Florence. Chris' co-workers told him that we HAD to stop in Tillamook to see the Dairy Farm and cheese plant - "it's so neat!". Hmmm.... do these people know where we're from? Half the people in my home town work in a cheese plant, my grandparents owned a dairy farm, and Chris grew up with Sargento in his backyard. But, we stopped anyway. And yep, it was definitely a Dairy Farm. The cheese plant wasn't operating because of the holiday weekend - but we still got to sample cheese curds and buy ice cream cones! That was probably Gabi's favorite part of the trip - since the rest of the day, she was stuck in her carseat.

We watched the fireworks at Fort Vancouver. They had live music, which Gabi had a blast dancing to, and the fireworks display was set to music and a really great show. Unfortunately, they only held Gabi's attention for a couple minutes and she was ready to run off and explore the crowd. I didn't feel like trying to keep track of a little person, in the dark, in a crowd of thousands of people, so instead, I wrestled with her on our blanket, trying to keep her from wandering off, while Daddy sat and took pictures of the fireworks. ARGH! So, I didn't get to enjoy much of the show, but at least Chris had a good time! He hasn't been to a real fireworks display in 3 years, so this was a good year for him!

Another weekend took us to the Portland Saturday Market. The website calls it "A lively place where unique artists await discovery". Chris described it as "a bunch of nutjobs". Either way - it was another recommendation of his co-workers as "something you have to see". So, we saw it. There was some interesting artwork, but not really our scene. I might go back if I need a unique gift, or maybe to get one of these slings when we have our next baby. But, all the vendors are on-line - so maybe I can just get the goods and spare myself the atmosphere. I doubt if I'll convince Chris to take me back down there, anyway.

We've also been spending a lot of time at the pool at our gym. Gabi loves the water and the hot weather has been perfect for swimming. We are there every weekend - usually both days.

During the week, Gabi and I have been taking swim lessons and going to story hour at the library. I have also continued to take her to the daycare at the gym while I go to workout. She has done great at her swim lessons, LOVES story hour, and is getting better at daycare all the time. We're starting to get into a pattern and it feels good to finally have somewhere to go and a reason to get out of the house.

We've also continued the bike rides. She LOVES going on the bike. If we're sitting at home, and she's bored, she will bring my shoes to me and use sign language to tell me she wants to go for a bike ride. It's so cute - how can I resist. So, we put on our shoes and helmets, and off we go! Its funny, because if I'm feeling lazy, she usually comes over and makes me get off my butt to take her for a ride! I've got a 14-month-old trainer making sure I get in shape!

That's the update for now. Chris is gone for the weekend. He's here for a bachelor party. So its just us girls for the weekend. I think this calls for some shopping!!

2 comments:

Vonn** said...

Even with a baby, you two remain extremely active and full of adventure.

Gotta love the Northwest!

4HB ME said...

Hey, Jen! Tell your hubby thanks a lot (use sarcastic tone of voice) for roping mine into another FF league! Sigh...I know it's not his fault. Ryan would seek one out totally unassisted(actually he's in 3)!
Found you through Vonn's site. Fun to catch up on you and baby! Cute house, too!